Welcome to The Emmbrook School DofE website where you will find all the information and resources you will need as a parent, participant or future participant.
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award provides an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding programme of personal development for young people, which is of the highest quality and the widest reach.”
The aim is to help teenagers to become more motivated, disciplined and balanced. The skills delivered are highly respected and valued by all universities and employers and continue to reward the individual long into their lives. The DofE Awards of Bronze, Silver and Gold can underpin progression in academic excellence.
The scheme began in the UK in 1956 and has since spread to over 120 countries, because both the philosophy and the four-section format have proved resilient, attractive and adaptable to many cultures, languages and climates. Over 225,000 young people in the UK are now participating.
DofE is often just known for the expedition side but it also has three other sections -Skill or Hobby, Service to the community or Volunteering and Physical Recreation or Sport - which all have to be completed to attain the award.
At Emmbrook we offer Bronze, Silver and Gold levels. You must be minimum Year 9 to start Bronze level, 15 years of ages for Silver and 16 years of ages for Gold.
- You can do a Bronze DofE programme once you’re in Year 9.
- A Bronze DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You must do a minimum of 3 months activity for each of the Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections, and plan, train for and do a 2 day (1 night) Expedition.
- You also have to spend an extra three months on one of the Volunteering, Physical or Skills sections. It’s your choice which one and, though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section.
- It will usually take you at least 6 months to complete your Bronze programme.
- Cost - £130
- The next step up from Bronze... you need to be at least 15 to start doing your Silver DofE programme. If you've achieved your Bronze Award, your Licensed Organisation may allow you to start your Silver a month or two before your 15th birthday.
- A Silver DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You need to do at least 6 months Volunteering and a minimum of 6 months on either Physical or Skills and 3 months on the other. It’s up to you which one you do for longer.
- If you did Bronze, you can choose the same activity for Silver, but you need to show development in it. It's best to try something new!
- The Expedition section involves planning, training for and doing a 3 day (2 night) expedition.
- If you start your Silver without doing Bronze first you’ll have to do an extra 6 months volunteering or doing whichever of the Physical or Skills sections you have spent more time on. Though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section.
- It will take you at least 6 months for Silver if you've already achieved your Bronze, or 12 months if you've jumped straight into Silver.
- Cost - £180 - Discounted if you have completed your bronze award with Emmbrook
- Once you are 16 you can do your Gold DofE programme. No activities can be counted for this before your 16th birthday.
- If you did a previous level, you can choose the same activity for Gold, but you need to show development in it. It's best to try something new!
- You’ll spend 12 months on your Volunteering section. For Physical and Skills you must spend 12 months on one and six months on the other - you decide which way round you do it.
- Your expedition will be for four days and three nights (plus an acclimatisation day) and should take place in 'wild country'.
- The big difference at Gold is you'll also do a Residential section - staying away from home for five days and four nights doing a shared activity with people you don't know. It's great fun and a real chance to do something different!
- If you’ve jumped straight into your Gold DofE programme you’ll need to do a further six months either volunteering or whichever one of your physical or skills activities you spent the most time on.
- For Gold, you'll need to do your programme for at least 12 months if you've achieved your Silver Award, or 18 months if you've started at Gold level without doing your Silver - even if you've done Bronze.
- Cost - £260