Exam board: AQA
Highly regarded by the top universities as a facilitating subject, French will open many doors in your future studies and career. The course allows you to deepen your knowledge of the language and of many aspects of French-speaking society. There will be opportunities to express and develop your ideas and to give your views on a range of issues. French can complement many other subjects and can be a valuable contrast to scientific subjects, demonstrating a breadth of interests.
Artistic culture in the French-speaking world
- A culture proud of its heritage
- Contemporary francophone music
- Cinema: the 7th art form
Aspects of political life in the French-speaking world
- Teenagers, the right to vote and political commitment
- Demonstrations, strikes – who holds the power?
- Politics and immigration
Paper 1 – Listening ,Reading and translation into French and English
- Aspects of French-speaking society: current trends
- Aspects of French-speaking society: current issues
- Artistic culture in the French-speaking world
- Aspects of political life in the French-speaking world
Paper 2 – Writing
- One text and one film or two texts from the list set in the specification
Paper 3 – speaking
- Individual research project
- One of four sub-themes from the course content list
Trips and other costs
We ask students to provide their own textbooks and a copy of the set text. Students will also be offered a week’s work experience in Brittany, and visits to universities for taster sessions in Higher education language study.
Career and further study
You could progress to higher level study such as a degree in French with any number of a huge number of subjects offered as a combined course by many universities. You may also use your knowledge of learning a language to start a new language from scratch at university.
Many employers recognise competence in a foreign language as a desirable skill. It is likely to offer you an advantage when seeking employment in a wide range of areas, including business, IT, marketing, law, tourism and customer service.