Highly regarded by the top universities as a facilitating subject, Spanish will open many doors in your future studies and career. The course allows you to deepen your knowledge of the language and of many aspects of Spanish-speaking society. There will be opportunities to express and develop your ideas and to give your views on a range of issues. Spanish can complement many other subjects and can be a valuable contrast to scientific subjects, demonstrating a breadth of interests.
Exam board: AQA
Aspects of Spanish-speaking society: current trends
- Modern and traditional values
- Equal rights
Multiculturalism in Hispanic Society
Artistic culture in the Spanish-speaking world
- Modern day idols
- Spanish regional identity
- Cultural heritage
Aspects of political life in the Spanish-speaking world
- Today’s youth, tomorrow’s citizens
- Monarchies and dictatorships
- Popular movements
Paper 1 – Listening ,Reading and translation into Spanish and English
- Aspects of Spanish-speaking society: current trends
- Multiculturalism in Hispanic society
- Artistic culture in the Spanish-speaking world
- Aspects of political life in the Spanish-speaking world
Paper 2 – Writing
- One text and one film or two texts from the list set in the specification
Paper 3 – Speaking
- Individual research project
- One of four sub-themes from the course content list
Trips and other costs
We ask students to provide their own textbooks and a copy of the set text. Students will also be offered work experience in Spain, and visits to universities for taster sessions in Higher education language study.
Career and further study
You could progress to higher level study such as a degree in Spanish with any number of a huge number of subjects offered as a combined course by many universities. You may also use your knowledge of learning a language to start a new language from scratch at university.
Many employers recognise competence in a foreign language as a desirable skill. It is likely to offer you an advantage when seeking employment in a wide range of areas, including business, IT, marketing, law, tourism and customer service.